Friday 13 July 2012

Foodie Friday - My Kitchenaid and Vegan Gluten Free Pizza Buns a la The Gluten Free Vegan.





I love my Kitchenaid. It's big and strong and sexy and really helpful. Kinda like my husband, except for without all the farting and yelling at sports.


I bought my Kitchenaid, along with my beloved Cuisinart, 19 years ago when we were recording God Shuffled His Feet in Wisconsin, because Canada does not have appliances. It cost me more to ship them both home than it would to buy the damned Kitchenaid in Winnipeg. The heart wants what the heart wants and it wants it right then and there -  even if you're living in hotel room at the time and are not going to be able to use said appliances for four months!


Good think I'm devastatingly good looking, because, me, I'm-a not so smart.


I've used my Kitchenaid to make bread, cookies, ice cream, pasta, whipped cream, whipped egg whites, cake, icing, and so many other food items. When I haul out the Kitchenaid it's like putting on a sacred mantel of baking, and I become the High Priestess of Cookies. Or what have you. Whenever I say "My Kitchenaid", I say it with reverence.


My Kitchenaid. It's not as fancy as some. I should probably get a new fancy one, right? Right?




When I bought my Kitchenaid, I figured I'd "arrived" as a cook/baker. Not a lot of my friends had one, so I felt I was a real trail blazer. Now most of my friends have one. Sarah's is fancy pants. Like, really.








So today, I thought I'd use my Kitchenaid to try out a new vegan recipe. These Pizza Buns are also gluten free. I am not gluten intolerant or a celiac person, but it's never a bad idea to have a couple of gluten free recipes under your belt for when the REAL hippies come to visit. 


It does mean that you'll have to go out and buy a lot of expensive voodoo flours and some thing from Mars called Xanthan Gum.





You will also need to get vegan cheese, which is just fine so stop complaining. No. It is not like cow's cheese. It is much less gross. Pipe down Sheila, I can hear you crossing yourself from here.



see, I am wearing a bandana. So I am really earthy and stuff.






Thank you vegan cheese. My nose is just awful.



I got this recipe from Megan at The Gluten Free Vegan. She also has an instructional video to demonstrate her rolling technique, which was very helpful. I made a few minor changes but essentially it is as Megan the Vegan set out. She has lots of good eats at her site and I encourage you to check it out and throw gluten free flours at her feet.



Vegan Gluten Free Pizza Buns


Ingredients
  • 1 cup chickpea flour (also called besan)
  • 1 cup cornstarch
  • 1 cup tapioca starch
  • 1/4 cup brown rice flour (plus more for dusting)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar (I used agave nectar because I am a hippie)
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
  • 1 tsp dried rosemary
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  •  egg replacer to equal 2 eggs
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1  cup pizza sauce
  • 1  cup Daiya cheddar cheese shreds




Directions

In the work bowl of your mixer, combine flours, xanthan gum, salt, sugar, yeast, herbs and garlic powder.






Add egg replacer, olive oil, vinegar, and water. Mix thoroughly. 





Lay out plastic wrap on work surface. Generously flour the plastic wrap with brown rice flour. 

Scrape batter onto plastic wrap. Generously flour the dough with brown rice flour then place another layer of plastic wrap over top. 


Lightly roll out dough with a rolling pin until it’s about 1/4″ thick. 


Remove the top layer of plastic wrap. Gently spread pizza sauce over the entire rolled out surface. 





Sprinkle with Daiya cheese shreds


Gently roll up like a cinnamon bun, trying to roll it as tightly as possible. I didn't end up needing to use the plastic wrap but it sure helped with the cleanup.



Slice into 1″ buns. 

Carefully move on to a parchment lined baking sheet with lots of room left between buns for rising. 


Let rise for about 30 minutes in a warm place. 


Preheat oven to 400°F. 


Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden brown. 











The end result was pretty good. If you love the super greasy, regret instilling pizza buns that you get at the grocery store or bakery, then you probably won't like these. They are much fluffier and significantly less greasy. These would be nice with vegan parmesan sprinkled on top before baking. I'll have these in the winter along with a bowl of tomato soup!  They aren't all that much work and your friends who are pretending to be gluten intolerant will appreciate you for making them!




1 comment:

  1. You go girl Go get that NEW Kitchenaid today

    ReplyDelete