Friday 16 March 2012

Foodie Friday - Peanut Butter Surprises





You’re not going to forgive me for this one. Unless you are desperately trying to gain weight, you’ll probably want to give this post a miss.
These cookies will freakin’ kill you.
I only make these when I know they will be leaving the house in someone else’s hands. They are pure evil. 
These cookies, if I make them at just the right time (i.e. there are no sports on TV), are a sure fire way for me to get lucky. These cookies are Brian’s kryptonite. The only protection Brian has against these cookies are the distraction of sports on TV.
These are chocolate cookies with peanut butter inside. The peanut butter is the surprise part, but you probably already figured that out. I suppose you could adapt these and put a surprise in the surprise, like a Hershey’s Kiss, or a bit of gum. Or a sardine. Listen, I’m not the boss of you. You have to make your own choices here.

Right after I made these cookies, I was talking to some Hydro workers outside the house and told them I'd just made cookies. I gave them some and then went on my way, because I'm just that awesome. When I came back the big burly hydro worker asked for the recipe. He said they were the best chocolate and peanut butter cookies he had ever, EVER had. I swear there were tears in his eyes.



Peanut Butter Surprises
Prep: 40 min Bake: approx 10 min per batch
1 and 1/2 C flour
1/2 C unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2C butter, softened
1/2 C white sugar
1/2 C packed brown sugar
1/4 C peanut butter
1 egg
1 T milk
1 t vanilla

3/4 C sifted powdered sugar
1/2 C peanut butter

granulated sugar


1. Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, and baking soda. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl beat together the butter, 1/2 C white sugar, brown sugar and the 1/4 C peanut butter until well combined. 


Put stuff in bowl



Mix stuff in bowl. Action shot!



Add egg, milk and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture.




Resist temptation to sit in darkened basement and eat chocolate cookie dough paste.


Form the chocolate dough into balls about 1 and 1/4 inches in diameter





3. For filling, combine powdered sugar and the 1/2 C peanut butter. Shape this mixture into 3/4 inch balls.
kinda looks like bone-fed dog's poops. But I assure you, it' is sugar and peanut butter





4. Flatten a chocolate dough ball. 





Top with a peanut butter ball. 

Cat is bored by shenanigans.



For each cookie, shape the chocolate dough over the peanut butter filling, completely covering the filling. 




Roll dough into balls





 Roll the balls in granulated sugar.
Aren't you glad of these highly instructive photos?  I don't think you're an idiot. I know that you know how to roll cookie dough in sugar. I just have to fill up the space here. You understand, of course.





Bake in a preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until just set and surface slightly cracks. 




Let stand for 1 minute and transfer to wire racks to cool.



Buy elastic waist pants. You'll need them after these.





8 comments:

  1. OMG calory bombs! Don't we love 'em. You really do have to come over sometimes to do some cooking Elpoo!

    ;-) Marcel

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look AWESOME!!! Thanks for the recipe!! I'm going to make some for dinner with a friend tonight - now to find an elastic waist! ( sweats will do! lol)
    HeatherJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. you forgot to list the all-important step, just before the "roll dough over peanut butter" one: "remove cat hair from dough..."

    jules xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swore I would not read the Friday posts anymore. Yet here I am. And guess what I will be baking tomorrow (Saturday is cheat day). Until then I will be quietly cursing you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm buyin' the pants! These look totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOSH.

    I'll tell you a secret: I don't even like peanut butter!

    But WOW. I will have to go buy some JUST to try out the recipe! AHHHHHH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friends, these cookies will give you the diabetes. You must make them. And eat them. Then report back to me and I defy you to tell me that they are anything but stupid good.

    Yours, in sweatpants,
    ELpoo

    ReplyDelete